Thursday, November 01, 2007

Circle Applique Skirt


As evidenced above, the idea for this skirt has been brewing in my head since at least the 5th of October. I am fairly positive I drew it before, but my "Ideas and Inspirations" catalog currently consists of bits of paper divided unevenly among several bags and bookshelves. It is not an organization system I'd recommend.


I really enjoyed taking the skirt from idea to finished garment. I used Simplicity 4036 for the A-line skirt pattern. The circles, about five inches wide, were made from the "wrong" side of the denim and go all the way around the hem. I almost made the circles smaller after a friend said it reminded her of a poodle skirt. However, I decided to stick to my original idea. I'm glad I did. I like the whimsy the large circles add to a basic denim skirt.

As for the rest of the list, I gave up on the dress and the remaining two items are still on my to do list, wherever it is.

12 comments:

kathryn said...

Great skirt!

tiffany... said...

oh! i love it... it's absolutely lovely!

marirob said...

Wow! I love your skirt SO much. It's amazing. Um... I may have to copy it!

Kelly said...

very cute. i really like how it came out, not poodle skirty at all in my mind. -kb

Lori said...

i love this skirt (and the boots)!

Anonymous said...

Really cute and slightly outside the box. You wear it well!

Geek+Nerd said...

I looooove big circles. I sell scarves appliqued with them like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekxnerd/1528784790/in/set-72157602222795810/. Your skirt is awesome. I really love that all you did was reverse the denim - the color contrast is neat.

Katie Jean said...

It's great! You're so talented!!

She's Sew Slye said...

oh, that's wonderful...love it - the skirt and the final presentation!

Anonymous said...

I love the skirt! So cute!

Unknown said...

Saw this on the sewmamasew flickr group -- I really like the graphic applique and, as catherine said, the final presentation.

Jennifer said...

*Love* Very Boden!