Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Event planning

I'm trying to come up with a reason (excuse) why I've been so absent from this blog recently. First it was Bali, then it was the move, and well, now it's this:


Who knew how much time it would take to plan a wedding? Not I! Though I'm sure many of you are nodding your head in the affirmative. I've been very busy trying to find a place for our outdoor ceremony and reception that has everything we want within our budget. We looked at a place that looks promising and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out. Then I can start with the fun stuff: dresses, decorations, favors, oh my! I'm not a very good planner, so the thought of planning a wedding was a little overwhelming at first. Fortunately, this is all turning out to be so much more fun than I thought (though still a little overwhelming I must admit). The downside is that I feel like one of those people who always talks about weddings now.

If you know of any diy wedding sites, please pass them along. In the meantime, I promise that my next couple of posts will be crafting related (this is a sewing/craft blog afterall) which will help me take my mind away from wedding stuff, for a little while at least.

9 comments:

Lee said...

I don't know much about wedding or event planning, but I follow Manolo for the Brides (http://manolobrides.com/), which seems useful and is certainly entertaining. One of the authors of the blog, Christa Terry, wrote a book called iDo, an internet resource guide.

Good luck! And congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Have you seen weddingbee.com? The bloggers are all brides, most or all of whom DIYed parts of their weddings. It's really fun to read & can get quite addicting!

yaiAnn said...

I've got an entire group of feeds dedicated to wedding blogs. Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to share them with you!

lsaspacey said...

Okay, now you're talking my language! Go to this one, http://www.apracticalwedding.com/ and you can just run through her links. I love Meg's attitude about weddings and her site helped me immensely when I managed my friends wedding in Richmond this past July.

Among her links, don't miss
c(oi)n:purse, Peonies and Polaroids, $2000 Wedding, Brooklyn Bride, and East Side Bride. These women are the best!

Also if you have any trouble locating something wedding-related, just give me a holla. I used to live in NVA and I've also been able to locate things like wedding figurines for a Scottish wedding that matched the groom's tartan and kilt to a near exact duplicate of a $200 dollar bridesmaid dress for $90 (the one sold in the boutique had a silk slip while the other catalog version had a poly slip and a different shaped back) that were in the exact same dress fabric and had the same cut.

LisaAnn said...

Oh yes, planning a wedding can take over your life! It only happens once so enjoy!

Philigry said...

you talk about that wedding as much as you want! it is your special time! enjoy it, it goes too fast! Wish I could help with more wedding sites, but I don't know of any. You are so creative, it will beautiful!

claudia said...

I'm an eco-friendly event planner (that's my job) and I planned my wedding in two weeks (it's good to have contacts in the business) but my point is that you need to have fun and make things simple...simple is always better...trust me! Anyway, I have this great little book call eco-chic wedding. No picture but very good ideas to make a simple, CHIC, eco-friendly and wonderful wedding. Since I don't want to get married again (well, we want to get re-married in a few years and do something super cheesy like in an indian buffet restaurant with a big dress...long story) and that I know that stuff by heart I would be more than happy to send it to you. If you want it just give me your address.
Clo xox

Anonymous said...

Wedding planning can be a bitch, but if you even browse theknot.com's pictures for whatever color wedding you want, there's a ton of ideas to sift through and suit to your tastes! Those knottie girls are so lucky to have pocketfuls of cash to spend, unlike the rest of us!

Anonymous said...

Wedding planning is fun (until the week of and then it can get stressful!) I think there is a site called DIY Bride but you've probably already found that. I did pretty much everything myself (with help from family and friends) and there is more information on my blog. Honestly keep things personal but simple. We had a "sweet escape" themed wedding with lollipop centerpieces. It looked and was very unique but they were just custom lollipops stuck in a terra cotta pot painted brown.