Friday, May 25, 2007

Madam Poofy Sleeves

Folks, I need your opinion. A glutton for punishment, I decided to try my hand at a jacket. The instructions were relatively easy. That is, until I got to the sleeves. I used McCalls 5395 View B. The pattern piece for the sleeve had an extra 3 inches that I was supposed to ease into the armhole. Now, this was my first time "easing" sleeves but still, I honestly don't know how even a professional could ease this much without having a few gathers. After about 3 attempts and several seam rips (and WTF's) later, I decided to just make my own modification and gather the top of the sleeve to make up for the ease difference. Hence, the poofy sleeves.


I read in Sandra Betzina's "Power Sewing" later that night that she doesn't like more than 1 1/4 of an inch of sleeve ease and that most ready made clothes only have this much. Her book gives instructions for modifying a sleeve pattern to reduce the sleeve ease. Hmmm, should have read this before I started cutting and sewing! I learn the hard way, what can I say.

Here's where I need your help. I can't decide whether or not I like the poofy sleeves I currently have on the jacket. Now that I know how to modify the pattern, I wonder if I should make new sleeves. My question to you, folks, is this: Do the poofy sleeves work? Would it look better if I made new, less poofy sleeves? Your honest opinions are needed (and appreicated).


Have a happy long weekend!

10 comments:

tiffany... said...

oh, i like the sleeves...
it's a very lovely jacket1

Christina said...

I like the sleeves and they look like they were intended to be gathered that way. The jacket looks really nice on you!

Raesha D said...

I like the poofiness too - the jacket is beautiful just the way it is:) And the lady inside the jacket isn't so shabby either:):)

Overanalyzer: said...

are you serious? they TOTALLY work. they make it look more vintage and more feminine. very cute!

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for the nice comments and honest opinions. I've decided to keep the sleeves as is (thank goodness, because I really wasn't looking forward to more seam ripping) . :)

Katie Jean said...

I actually really like the sleeve poofiness! you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

I like the poofy sleeves! Sleeves are such a pain sometimes, especially when the pattern maker does them goofy!

Raine K said...

the sleeves rock - very vintage and feminine without being "cutesy"

Concha said...

I love them! They add a feminine touch to the sofisticate jacket. Sometimes "mistakes" leed to great discoveries!

Anonymous said...

Your jacket turned out great and I think the gathers look great on the sleeves!